Friday, August 26, 2011


Yesterday I got out of the shop and spent the day using my boat to haul supplies for a construction project.  A contractor is repairing a few of the roads in town and installing some culverts.  The contractor hauled their supplies by road from Nome to Teller, then they hired me to boat everything across from Teller to Brevig.

This photo shows two 24" diameter by 20' long plastic culverts in the boat.  I made several other trips with the boat and hauled more pipe, shovels, compactors, ATV's, etc.  There is a protected bay on the Teller end of the trip where we loaded the boat and a sheltered lagoon in the Brevig, but the 10 mile crossing in between was rather rough. 

C.O.

3 comments:

  1. The sea can be rough most of the times. Is that short stretch treacherous at all times?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it is normally an easy stretch of water to cross, but it is exposed to the south. If the wind blows out of the south there is a 20 mile fetch for the waves to build up.

    C.O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More or less like the baltic. It's just a big lake for me but I have to admit that when strong wind blows from the south (over 30 miles fetch) it gets choppy enough for me to feel like staying in sheltered bays.
    I hope to be selling my boat soon anyways..

    ReplyDelete