Thursday, January 13, 2011

Arctic Cat Sno Pro - Finished

I have been working on this Arctic Cat Sno Pro 600 on and off for a while now.  Today I was finally able to wrap up the project.  I will give you a quick recap of the situation.  The machine quite running last spring, the owners then left it sitting on the beach where it stopped.  After a whole summer of being very close to the salty ocean they brought it to me.  I figured out that the initial problem was a faulty fuel pump.  After changing the very expensive ($447!) fuel pump I started to fix all the rusted and corroded parts.

The worst corrosion was on the brake system.  The brake is made from aluminium and steel, that is a bad combination in a salt water environment.  When I first pulled the machine in the shop the brake was locked up solid.  After a liberal soaking in Deep Creep penetrating oil and a lot of pounding I was able to get it to turn by hand.  I thought that it would loosen up with use, but when I test drove the machine it was dragging and heating up the rotor.

After a lot more oil and pounding I was finally able to remove the rotor.  Once I had the rotor removed I put the caliper back together and used the brake pressure to push the pistons out of the calipers. The top photo shows the back half of the disassembled caliper in place on the machine.  The caliper is actually part of the same casting that holds the bearing for the drive shaft.  The rotor goes on the end of hollow splined shaft.

This second photo shows the other half of the caliper, the piston, and the seal.  Despite being made of stainless steel the pistons were corroded and pitted where they were in contact with the aluminum caliper.  This corrosion caused them to bind or stick in the caliper and prevent the brake from releasing.  At first I thought they may need to be replaced, but I was able to clean them with fine sand paper.  I reassembled everything with a little bit of silicone grease on the parts and  the brake now works fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment